Sunday, November 4, 2012

No Shame 2 & 3: TV & Movies

TV - MOVIES

These work well as a couple. I was going to talk about the shift in quality storytelling from film to television, and even explore a tangent on the differences between television and TV, film and movies, art and entertainment, the way women masturbate and the way men masturbate (you get the picture (did you get those pictures?)) Then that idea became boring to me, and I think the point is made in the set-up, so let's do something else.

Random thoughts on television:
I miss Paul Reiser. Did you know that he co-wrote the Mad About You theme, and even played the piano on the track? I hope he's well.
Speaking of TV theme songs, the Monty Python one is actually American. I think it's Sousa... (looking it up)... yeah, Sousa.
The best thing on television right now is Homeland. Seriously, depending on the end game in either show, Homeland may be gunning for the Breaking Bad crown. And don't start with any of your Game of Thrones shit, because that show is overwrought and boring and just dumb. It's dumb. More like Lame of Thrones. Game of Thrown up in my fucking mouth.
I've seen maybe 2 & 1/2 episodes, and it really doesn't bother me. It also hasn't made me want to watch any more of it.
The other best show you may not be watching is Bob's Burgers. Hilarious. H. Jon Benjamin can do no wrong. Hilarious Jon Benjamin, with his Hobbit body and piercing blue eyes...
Shameless is also a good show.

Random thoughts on movies:
I miss Michael Keaton. And Kevin Kline. I suppose Kevin Kline still works more often than Michael Keaton, but I don't remember him doing anything noteworthy in the past ten years. If it were up to me, then pre-production of a film where Tom Hanks & Michael Keaton are brothers and Richard Dreyfuss is their exasperated father would already be underway. Richard Dreyfuss himself told me he would be on board in a brief Twitter conversation we shared recently. True story.
Also a movie where Jon Hamm & Chris Meloni are brothers, and maybe Elias Koteas as their weird older brother. I just like movies about brothers.
I suppose my third wish would be some movie that makes so much money that it solves a world issue or something. We could call it "Brotherhood".
A friend recently reminded me how great Fargo is, though it was actually filmed in Minnesota near the production of Mallrats, instead of North Dakota. It is also not a true story.
The best films I have seen from this year are, in no particular order - The Master, The Avengers, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Seven Psychopaths, Lawless, Argo, Moonrise Kingdom. Actually, that may be the correct order.
Shame is also an amazing film. It encapsulates the feeling of independent cinema. Also semi-famous penis & vagina.

So, TV & movies are both excellent. A marathon of SVU or a VH1 countdown is pretty much the best thing that can happen to my weekend these days.
And for that extra "No Shame" moment, let me share with you the fact that I recently watched the first 4 Twilight films back to back, to back, to back. Seriously, like 9 hours of just Twilight.
Let me say this: they're not as bad as I thought they'd be, each one is probably better than the last, and I want to see the last one just to know how it all plays out.
The first one is pretty bad though.

I think that went well.



No comments:

Post a Comment